Thursday, January 7, 2010

I make my own granola bars.


It's true. I do. And you should, too. I know it sounds weird. But trust me on this. Just do it.

When you look at this recipe, I do not want you to be alarmed. The recipe IS from a dieting website. And I'm sorry for that. But you're just going to have to believe me. You do like granola bars, don't you? I kinda forgot to mention that as a prerequisite. It's important.



1 cup quick cooking oats
1 cup shredded wheat
1 cup nuts
1 1/2 cups dried fruit
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs
1/3 cup honey
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly oil or coat an 8 x 8-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.
2. Place the oats, shredded wheat, walnuts, dried fruit, cinnamon, and salt in a food processor and pulse until the mixture is finely chopped.
3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, honey, and vanilla. Add the oatmeal mixture and chocolate chips and stir to combine.
4. Transfer to the baking pan and flatten down gently with the back of a spoon or spatula to spread evenly.
5. Bake about 18 minutes until the edges turn golden brown and the bars are done. Let bars cool completely in pan before slicing and serving.

(Please pardon my sad attempt at food photography.)

I've made these a few times before and I have a few suggestions. First, when you're measuring the oats, shredded wheat, and nuts, try to make them more like a heaping cup-full. Next, when you're measuring the honey, you should spray your measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray before you put in the honey. It works so much better.

And if you're wondering how much dried fruit you really need, just go to the part of the grocery store where you find the raisins. They have these smallish bags with all kinds of dried fruits. I personally love raisins and cranberries. Anyway, you need just one of those bags.

One more thing. You can add the chocolate chips if you want to, but I don't. Unbelievable, I know. But it just makes it too sweet...as if that's possible!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Post a comment!

Related Posts with Thumbnails